Tuesday, March 7, 2017

ARC Review||| The Bone Witch by: Rin Chupeco







*Before we get into the review I want to quickly say thank you to the publisher for providing me with an ARC in exchange for my honest thoughts!


Can we take a second to admire that cover.... 
*all the heart eyes*


So I received The Bone Witch back in November and, at that time, my enthusiasm for this book was at an all time high. Necromancy?! HECK YEAH. But my enthusiasm slowly started to dwindle because of all the negative Goodreads reviews. I became afraid to start the book because I didn't want to hate it.

Friends. Please don't let the Goodreads rating for this book keep you from reading it. While I wouldn't recommend the book to readers trying to get into fantasy, I would recommend the book to people who already love fantasy. 


Chupeco's writing is truly stunning. The writing reminded me of Roshani Chokshi's writing because of its effortless poetic beauty. *Whispers* I think you should give The Bone Witch a try just BECAUSE of the writing, if not for any other reason. 


With that being said... 
I do have to say that I was confused for a good chunk of the book. But I didn't mind...? Let me explain.
I was enamored by the world and the characters to a point where I didn't really mind that I was confused by the plot. If that makes any sense... 

This book kind of reminds me of Daughter of Smoke and Bone in the sense that the plot is kind of confusing but the world and the characters are just so unique that you can't help but enjoy the story despite everything else.

(The formatting was also super messed up in my E-ARC so that didn't help with my confusion ahaha.)

I personally never formed a bond with any of the characters. But I did really love following an MC that's a "villain."
...which brings me to another amazing part of this book.
The diversity. The MC was a POC and I believe that the cast of characters was pretty diverse as well.

If you're hesitating on picking up this book because you don't want to be confused with the world then let me tell you some good news! I believe that there's a section in the back of the book that gives you the names of all the kingdoms, their rulers, and a short blurb about their history. (If only I would have known that was there.... xD)

The ending.... 
THE ENDING.....
Y'all the ending made the entire book. 
But you can't find out why I'm so in love/shocked by the last chapter if you don't read the book *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*


Overall: The story was a little on the confusing side but the writing was beautiful and the world was intricately woven to literary perfection.


Quote:

"There is no greater strength than the ability to understand and accept your own flaws."






Thank you for reading and have a lovely day!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...