Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Twitter Book Community|| Confrontation, Calling People Out, and the Importance of Diverse Voices


I'm usually someone who likes to avoid confrontation. I like to keep my blog happy-go-lucky because "happy-go-lucky" keeps you out of controversy. 
Then again, "Happy-go-lucky" has never helped bring change upon us.

I recently read a post from Rachel (A Perfection Called Books) where she talks about how teens are afraid to speak up on Twitter nowadays and how Twitter has become, I guess, a more "destructive/aggressive?" place. There's been a lot of controversy in response to this post and, while I think Rachel had only the best intentions when she wrote this post, I definitely don't agree with what was said.  

If someone is being racist, homophobic, or anything in between, then they deserve to be called out. It can be easier to deal with the pretty lie over the ugly truth but now is not the time to just "accept and move on."

It's not okay to expect someone from a marginalized group to just sit still and be quiet while they are misrepresented and discriminated against. If someone calls out a book for being hurtful then there's a reason why they're calling it out! Don't just dismiss them as a nasty person trying to conjure up drama. If people aren't called out for their mistakes then they will never learn. How can you expect someone to fix something that they didn't even know was broken in the first place? 


I don't want this post to be too long but I will end on this. Make sure you're advocating for diversity. Just because you hear your voice in the media doesn't mean that everyone else does. Call out advocates of bigotry, racism, and homophobia. Lastly Always, Always, Always remember that Everyone deserves to be accurately represented. 



Thank you for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...