Friday, July 15, 2016

Review||| The Museum of Heartbreak by: Meg Leder


The Museum of Heartbreak by: Meg Leder


Series: Standalone

Page Count: 279

Published: June 7th, 2016

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a finished copy in exchange for my honest review!

<<<<<<>>>>>>

"In this ode to all the things we gain and lose and gain again, seventeen-year-old Penelope Marx curates her own mini-museum to deal with all the heartbreaks of love, friendship, and growing up.

Welcome to the Museum of Heartbreak.

Well, actually, to Penelope Marx’s personal museum. The one she creates after coming face to face with the devastating, lonely-making butt-kicking phenomenon known as heartbreak.

Heartbreak comes in all forms: There’s Keats, the charmingly handsome new guy who couldn’t be more perfect for her. There’s possibly the worst person in the world, Cherisse, whose mission in life is to make Penelope miserable. There’s Penelope’s increasingly distant best friend Audrey. And then there’s Penelope’s other best friend, the equal-parts-infuriating-and-yet-somehow-amazing Eph, who has been all kinds of confusing lately.

But sometimes the biggest heartbreak of all is learning to let go of that wondrous time before you ever knew things could be broken."

<<<<<<>>>>>>
{Minor side-character personality spoilers}

I've mentioned before that I don't tend to gravitate toward contemporaries. Not that I've read a horrifically bad contemporary to make me feel this way, it's just that I'm more of a fantasy reader.
But I do have to say that I enjoyed The Museum of Heartbreak.

I could definitely relate to the main character, in more ways than one, and the pacing of the story was good.
Being me, I got distracted while reading so it took me longer to get through. However I would definitely classify the book as a short and easy read. 

Though at times I found myself getting frustrated with the characters. Penelope, our MC, stays with a guy that is obviously king of douche land for the majority of the book. Yes, their relationship paves the path for the ultimately cute ending but their relationship also made me want to pull my hair out. (Not really but kind of.) Listening to some sexist snob manipulate a decent girl was not fun. At. All.

He couldn't of been that bad....

Let's look at some quotes. Shall we?

"'Eh, lady writers, not really my thing."

"'You're totally mad, aren't you?'"

(Okay that quote doesn't sound terrible but he says that 3 times every chapter and he's using it as a form of manipulation.)

"He clicked on his computer, and the Flaming Lips started filtering through the room like a subtle headache, one that won't leave. I told him I hated this band."

Though I think what really made me hate him was when he turned down a piece of birthday cake because "Artificial coloring." He turned down cake. Cake!!!!

It was great to see how Penelope and her friendship with Audrey and Eph developed throughout the story. I can definitely relate to the feeling of not wanting your friend group to change. I'm not the biggest fan of change so I felt that I could relate to Penelope in that aspect of my life.

Like I said the ending was ultimately cute and I was happy with how things turned out. I'm definitely happy I ended up picking up this story.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy contemporaries following high-schoolers. As well as a few cliche's thrown in here and there.



Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!
=D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...