Sunday, July 31, 2016

ARC Review|| Tell the Wind and Fire by: Sarah Rees Brennan





{A huge thank you to the publisher for providing me with and ARC of Tell the Wind and Fire!}


For those who don't know, Tell the Wind and Fire is based off a Tale of Two Cities by: Charles Dickens. Since I haven't read A Tale of Two Cities I couldn't compare the two books but if you have read ATOFC then you may notice similarities.
With that being said...

I really enjoyed the book! 
I found the world to be... enchanting. The story mainly takes place in New York, except it's New York with a twist. 
The world was what really sold me on the story, if I'm being completely honest. I thought the magic system was well flushed out and I loved the different settings in which the story took place.

After thinking about it for a while I realized that the characters weren't something I particularly liked about the story. Yes, the female lead is strong and there was a romance of sorts. However, I never really connected with any of the characters. When the tragic finale of the story came I found myself not being THAT sad. (Okay I was a little sad but I got over it quickly.)

Going back...

The story begins on a train, and since I don't want to say anything about the story I'll be as vague as humanly possible.
Two of the main characters are in a wee bit of a pickle so a seemingly random person... helps them out. 
I found it to be annoying when the girl lead keeps talking about said person that helped her and the male lead out. I get that it was a kind thing to do, but you barely know this person and you're obsessing over them.

Anyways, I loved the sass coming from one of our main characters, Carwyn. He's overly sarcastic and I LOVE IT.
He has lines like:

"'What are you doing here?"
"I thought we covered that," Carwyn said. "Mommy and Daddy loved each other very much, so they did a dark ritual...?'"

Everyone else was serious, for obvious reasons. So I'm glad Carwyn brought the comedy to the table.

Without going into much detail, let's just say the ending had me like:

*That moment when you realize the conflict isn't actually resolved*


While the ending wasn't ideal for the characters I can tell you that the story was wrapped up nicely.


I would recommend this book to people who like worlds filled with magic and political conflict.


Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!
=D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...