Saturday, April 30, 2016

SPOILER Review ||| Lady (ripped my heart out and tore it to shreds) Midnight by: Cassandra Clare


Lady Midnight by: Cassandra Clare

Series: (The Dark Artifices, #1)

Page Count: 668

Published: March 8th, 2016

Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books


<<<<<>>>>>


"In a kingdom by the sea…

In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.

parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.

Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder to shoulder with her parabatai, Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of Los Angeles, where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries—the most powerful of supernatural creatures—teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries turn up murdered in the same way Emma’s parents were when she was a child, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma’s chance for revenge—and Julian’s chance to get back his brother Mark, who is being held prisoner by the faerie Courts. All Emma, Mark, and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks…and before the murderer targets them.

Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. And each clue she unravels uncovers more secrets. What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter Law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?"


<<<<<>>>>>

I didn't originally plan to write a review on Lady Midnight. That is, until I read the last 100 pages...

I usually write spoiler free reviews but I feel like, since LM is an extension of previous shadowhunter stories, the book itself is a huge spoiler. You'll definitely be able to appreciate LM 10000 times more if  you've read Cassandra's previously released stories.

With that being said, let's get to the feels. 

As soon as I started LM I was laughing. (I was definitely laughing because it was crazy to me that I finally had the book after waiting FOREVER after reading COHF.) So the laughing had absolutely nothing to do with the story xD

But Anyways,

We start off in the Shadow market, which I'd love to know more about. It has a very cool, dark, magical vibe that I love.

We get our first glimpse of Emma, who I wasn't sold on immediately. I couldn't truly connect with her until later on when we get to see past the mask of confidence and she begins to appear as... human. Though, I do love Emma because of how badass she is. She very much reminds me of a female Jace. (Who I liked, for the most part, as a character.)

Throughout the course of the story the reader gets to visualize different destinations in LA, many of which are actually real. Something I love about Cassie's writing is that the worlds are always very vivid. I could see the LA institute clearly in my mind as if I lived there myself (I wish.)

Before we meet the Blackthorns we meet Christina, who is fabulous. I wish Christina was my friend, honestly. She's supportive, easy to talk to , and reasonable. She contrasted Emma's more outgoing personality, which made them the perfect duo. Throughout the book I wanted things to end happily for her, and pretty much everyone else. 

Then there's Julian. Julian, Julian, Julian. Something I admired about Julian was that he loved his family fiercely and with every fiber of his being. He was kind, gentle, yet extremely strong. I couldn't imagine having to take care of your family at age 12. AGE 12. I could barely make macaroni and cheese when I was 12, let alone take care of 4 other siblings. 

Speaking of Julian...
As soon as he started feeling things for Emma I was like, "Crap, no, stop. " except I was also like, "KISS HER YOU FOOL." As you can see I had some inner turmoil going on. 

I had super mixed feelings toward Emma and Julian's relationship. There's something about the guy friend becoming the bf in books that doesn't sit well with me. Sometime's I just want to see a girl have a guy friend that's JUST a guy friend. (Kind of like Clary and Simon minus their awkward romantic relationship in COA.) 
Yet, I couldn't help but root for them. They work so well together and they're perfect for each. Why did they have to become Parabatai all those years ago?! Why?!?!


But back to the plot:

I loved getting to see a more "fae involved" world. I've always loved the fae so getting to see more of them was fantastic. I liked that I was able to see more fae politics, and how things  ran in their world. (I'm definitely looking forward to a,  similarly, more fae involved world in the Last Hours.)

I really enjoyed Mark and Kieran, at least for a small while. I liked the fact that Mark had someone while he was away for all those years. Though, I definitely shipped him and Christina. But I also shipped Christina and Perfect Diego. (I can't help but ship everyone.)


But do I ship Mark and Emma? Cassie has something up her sleeve with them. Just judging by the last line where Mark says "Why lie?" to Emma about them falling in love. *Flails*

Taking it wayyy back, let's discuss Malcolm. 
I originally loved his character, up until his betrayal. He was fun and he cried at movies and he was just an overall awesome person. I have to admit that I felt betrayed when we find out that he's been betraying the Blackthorns. I kind of understand why he did what he did but his hatred for the Blackthorns is completely uncalled for. Especially since basically every one of the Blackthorns that is actually alive right now is not an adult. He's holding a grudge over children which is not okay! But neither is murdering people so...

I'm really interested to see how Annabel plays into the next book. In the epilogue she awakens? so it should be interesting to see how she affects everyone else's lives.

Overall if you've enjoyed the Shadowhunter world then you'll probably enjoy Lady Midnight. It's filled with magic, mystery, suspense, and forbidden love *sob*

Hopes for the sequel:
  • We see more fae! (I really do love what they bring to the world. Even if they're manipulative and horrible at some points.)
  • There's Emma and Jem bonding time (because why not?)
  • We get a Kit and Jace confrontation (all the tension)
  • Annabel Lee turns out to be normal and not at all out for revenge (*crosses fingers*)
  • The Mark, Emma, Julian situation isn't too unbearable (no it's going to be very unbearable for me and my fangirl self)

Favorite quotes:

"'Everyone has things they're afraid of...'"
"'It's part of being human.'"

"Heroes aren't always the ones who win. They're the ones who lose, sometimes. But they keep fighting, they keep coming back. They don't give up. That's what makes them heroes."

"'...people will see what they want to see."

"We all feel the same things, only the shapes of our feelings are different."

"Lex Malla, lex nulla.
A bad law is no law."









Psssst!
I made a Lady Midnight Pinterest board which you can view here! 




Thanks for reading and have a lovely day! 
=D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...