Thursday, April 28, 2016

Discussion||| Joining the book community for the right reasons


{This is a post inspired by things I've been seeing during my time as a bookstagrammer/blogger.}

I think I've been wanting to write a blog post like this for a while. Most of you guys don't know this but I am someone who LOVES rants. I like to rant but I also love to hear other people rant, depending on subject matter. Ranting can be liberating at times. Rants are when you can get all the feels, usually feels that you've been holding in, out. 

Now as much as I love to rant, this post itself isn't truly a rant. I really just want to be able to discuss something that's been bothering me lately. 
So after that long intro let's get into things! 



Lately I've been seeing a lot of people that are wanting to become a part of the book community for one of two reasons.


To qualify to be a Rep of bookish merch (Owlcrate particularly in mind.)




"Free" books from publishers


Now it goes without saying that I encourage everyone to become a part of the book community. Everyone is super supportive and friendly and so much fun. BUT if you're trying to become a blogger/bookstagrammer just because you want free stuff then maybe the book community isn't for you. 

I'm not saying this because wanting to receive books from publishers, or wanting to become a bookish rep, is a bad thing. In fact, both of these things are perks of being a part of the community. However, you do have to work towards them. 

I've found that people that join the community just to get free stuff don't last that long. What happens is people get impatient. They begin to find out that you don't just get stuff handed to you because you have a blog, or whatever other platform you use. 

Being a blogger takes time and dedication. You really have to love books and you have to put in the time it takes to run a blog, which is no easy feat. (Well loving books is pretty easy, except not really because they continuously break your heart. But you know what I love them anyway.) 
Successful bloggers have had to work for their success for multiple years, generally. 

{Side note: Shops like Owlcrate will choose people to become reps who have a large following. In a situation where there's someone who has 1k followers versus someone with 80k followers, the person with 80k followers is more likely to become the rep. Same situation with publishers. Since reps are their to promote the company/publisher people with large followings are chosen since it is known that people with a large following will have more people viewing the book/product.}

So with that being said...


If you're a fellow book lover and you're interested in blogging/booktubing then try it out! Like I've said the book community is one of the most supportive online communities. If you're looking for someplace to get all the feels out then this is the place!




How do you feel about people joining the community just to get free stuff?

Thanks you for reading and have a lovely day!
=D

1 comment:

  1. Exactly!! I remember when I joined, I didn't even know what an ARC was. Everyone kept talking about it and I didn't want to seem someone who had no idea what it was so I never asked haha When I found out, I was like OHHHHH that's so cool. So yeah, I feel where you're coming from because a few of my friends have started/considered starting a blog to get books from publishers. It frustrates me so so so much! I actually wrote a post about it (idk the name..you can just search 'the reason for blogging' on the blog).
    This is a great post! Totally sharing!
    Genesis @ Latte Nights Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...