Monday, January 11, 2016

Review||| Oblivion by: Jennifer L. Armentrout


Oblivion by: Jennifer L. Armentrout

Rating: 4.5/5 stars

Series: (Lux #1.5)

Format: Paperback

Page Count: 350

Published: December 1st, 2015

Publisher: Entangled Teen

"Experience the epic love story of OBSIDIAN as told by its hero, Daemon Black…

I knew the moment Katy Swartz moved in next door, there was going to be trouble. Lots of it.

And trouble’s the last thing I need, since I’m not exactly from around here. My people arrived on Earth from Lux, a planet thirteen billion light years away. Plus, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that humans can’t be trusted. We scare them. We can do things they only dream about, and honestly, we make them look weak as hell. ‘Cuz they are.

But Kat is getting to me in ways no one else has, and I can't stop myself from wanting her—or wanting to use my powers to protect her. She makes me weak, and I’m the strongest of our kind, tasked with protecting us all. So this one simple girl…she can mean the end for us. Because the Luxen have an even bigger enemy—the Arum, and I need to stay on my game.

Falling for Katy—a human—won't just place her in danger. It could get us all killed, and that’s one thing I’ll never let happen...
 "



Note: There's an extended version of the book as an e-copy. Since I read the book in physical form I'm only reviewing the non-extended version. (A.K.A Obsidion)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I read Obsidian back in July/August of... 2014 (oh ma lordy I didn't think it had been that long.) It was free on the google App Store so obviously I took advantage of the deal. Within a few hours I had devoured the book whole and then had taken a large bite out of book two (metaphorically of course xD) I loooooooved these book with a burning passion, for a good few months. After I had finished the final book, Opposition, I had to let my fangirly-ness go away because the feels were taking over my life. 

Time travel forward to the beginning of this year....

I saw Oblivion in B&N and I hopped on that sucker SO. FAST. Of course I started the book almost instantly, despite my currently reading pile composed of 6 books. I got through it fairly fast, though definitely not as fast as I read Obsidian. 

I know y'all have been waiting for the actual review part so here it is....

If you haven't read Obsidian then I recommend you stay away from this book AT ALL COSTS. (That was a little dramatic but please, please don't pick it up.) The book was definitely more of a fun read after I had already read from Katie's POV in the original book. I feel like if you haven't read from her POV before going into this book then you may not be able to enjoy the book as much, purely based off of lack of information. 

Yes, Daemon is a main character but Katie is the main, main character (if you're picking up what I'm putting down.) The main parts of the story really happen from Katie's POV so you don't really get much of what's happening if you read from Daemon's POV right off the bat.
Like I said, just read Obsidion first. Overall, you'll enjoy Oblivion 10000 times more.

Anyways...

Daemon was killing it as always. He's cocky and bad-ass and really an overall douche bag but you know what? That's Daemon Black for you. 
I love how in Oblivion you get to see Daemon's need for Katie. Of course he still acts horribly towards her, no excuse for that, but at least you get to see his regret for acting like such a jerk. He definitely didn't have it together as much as he claimed to in Obsidian. You really get to see his inner turmoil in a new light. 
A bonus was definitely the different perspective on Dee and Daemon's relationship. Katie wasn't really around Dee and Daemon TOGETHER so you don't see much of them from Katie's POV. Whereas when you see the world through Daemon's eyes you truly get to see how much love he has for his siblings. (Spoiler Alert: He loves them a whole lot.)


?: Will I be reading the e-book version? Well, definitely not super soon but possibly in the future.


Overall, I recommend this book to people who want a little more Daemon Black in their life.... or to people who are just looking for something to read after going through the struggle of reading Opposition and realizing there wasn't another book after it.


Favorite Quote:

"You could be a weapon without ever realizing you were one."


<<<<>>>>
Thoughts on Oblivion?
Do you love or hate Daemon Black?

Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!
=D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...