Thursday, January 7, 2016

Review||| Elementals: Prophecy of Shadows by: Michelle Madow



Elementals: Prophecy of Shadows


Rating: 3.5/5

Series: Elementals #1


Format: E-ARC


Page Count: ?


Published: January 26th, 2016


Publisher: Dreamscape Publishing


Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an E-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"When Nicole Cassidy moves from sunny Georgia to gloomy New England, the last thing she expects is to learn that her homeroom is a cover for a secret coven of witches. Even more surprisingly … she’s apparently a witch herself. Despite doubts about her newfound abilities, Nicole is welcomed into this ancient circle of witches and is bedazzled by their powers—and, to her dismay, by Blake—the school’s notorious bad-boy.


Girls who get close to Blake wind up hurt. His girlfriend Danielle will do anything to keep them away, even if she must resort to using dark magic. But the chemistry between Blake and Nicole is undeniable, and despite wanting to protect Nicole from Danielle’s wrath, he finds it impossible to keep his distance.

When the Olympian Comet shoots through the sky for the first time in three thousand years, Nicole, Blake, Danielle, and two others in their homeroom are gifted with mysterious powers. But the comet has another effect—it opens the portal to the prison world that has contained the Titans for centuries. After an ancient monster escapes and attacks Nicole and Blake, it’s up to them and the others to follow the clues from a cryptic prophecy so that they can save their town … and possibly the world."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I went into this book with fairly low expectations. Just based off the synopsis, I was expecting the cheese factor to be cranked up. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Michelle created an interesting world where witches are descendants of the Greek gods. They channel their magic through different types of energy including: blue, yellow, red, orange, green, purple (hopefully this is correct or else I'm just naming off the colors of the rainbow) There's also colors such as grey and black but those are colors that have negative effects. 


Our main character, Nicole, has just moved to Massachusetts and like any other high school girl who's just moved, she's a little disoriented. Nicole misses home and doesn't understand why this is happening to her (okay maybe I'm adding that for effect but you get the point.) She definitely wasn't expecting her home room to be magic based.


I'm always intrigued by books that have their own unique magic system and I felt like I found that in this book. Was the magic system super complicated? No, not really. Which can be interpreted as either bad or good. I'd say in this situation it worked because though it was a gigantic part, Michelle made sure you didn't spend the majority of the story wondering what the deal was with the characters' magic while you should be paying attention to the storyline. 


Speaking of the storyline....


I felt like everything in the book flowed fairly smoothly. There was a cause-and-effect type situation going on, where the characters have to find their objects that they believe will help complete a prophecy. Like I said, these scenes flowed nicely together. I was eager to find out what would happen once everyone had found their object. 

The ending was definitely worth the reading. There was a great action scene where readers get to see the group of students doing their own forms of magic. 

Group of students? What are you talking about Faith?

Well, throughout the book you get the pleasure of following around 5 students including: Nicole, Blake, Danielle, Kate, and Chris. I have to say that I enjoyed these characters 1000 times more when they were interacting together versus when they were separated. I thought that their personalities meshed together in just the right way so that you have a good amount of everything. (Ex. B**chy, good, bad, rebellious, smart, annoying, perky.) It was all there in the group.


I think Nicole was my favorite, not just because she's the main character, because she had some really great qualities. Though, one of those "good" qualities wasn't her indecisiveness.
Moving on,
I'm a sucker for books that have a super cliche romance (bad boy decides he wants girl that just moved to town) and that was this book. I wasn't a super fan of the main guy love interest, Blake, but he was a bad boy nonetheless. (and I love bad boys for better or for worse.... or for 'slightly okay but are you sending me a signal?')



Overall, this definitely wasn't the best or most memorable book I've ever read. BUT it was light and fun, so I'd recommend if that's what you're in the mood for.



Favorite Quote:

"It was an impossible task,
but I could do impossible things."


Quick Note: I want to hug Michelle for referencing Phantom of the Opera because I LOVE POTO.
Okay I'm done fangirling xD



Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!
=D



No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...