Saturday, January 9, 2016

*Gasp* Books I've struggled to review

Is all of them an answer?


If you're a blogger then you may know the eternal struggle of reviewing a book. Some questions may run through your mind including:

"How do I write the intro?"

"Wait, am I contradicting myself?"

"Will the author see this? Will the publisher see this?"

...and more importantly:

"Will people judge me because I'm so... awkward?"

(haha no that's definitely just me *slowly backs away*)

No matter what may be running through your mind, I think we can all say that the struggle is very real every once in a while (or maybe more than once in a while...) At least, I know that's the case for me.

But overall some books are just harder to review than others. For some it's bad, ranty reviews. However, for others it may be mediocre reviews that are harder to write or gushy, fangirly reviews.

For me I usually struggle the most on writing reviews for.. well... nothing in particular, really. Every once in a while there's just a book that comes along and I can't seem to write up a good, solid review for it. Maybe it's a mood thing? I honestly could not tell you since I don't know, myself. 

Anyways, I've been blogging for about 11 months now which means I've had to write up some reviews. Today I thought I would share some of the books that have tripped me up in the past, I haven't been able to write a review OR the review just came out kind of... meh. Don't worry, I'll leave links (since apparently I like to promote my meh reviews?) You'll see what I'm talking about in a moment...

(In chronological order from earliest to latest reviews)

1. The Young Elites by: Marie Lu (a not so subtle excuse for me to get out of a review)


I actually cringe when I see the title of this review. Actually, this isn't really a review. I'm embarrassed to admit that I literally took 4 pictures from Marie Lu's Young Elites Pinterest board and said I was "deciphering" the fashion. Okay, maybe I was, but that's not the point. I legitimately made this sad, not review, of TYE to get out of writing an actual review. You can view it here.



2. The Prophecy of Shadows by: Michelle Madow
*puts off for centuries*


I received this book from Netgalley so I had to write a review, no avoiding it. Well, actually, avoiding writing it was the only thing I could do. So naturally that's what I did. Of course I got it up a few weeks in advance, which is good! Definitely not my best review but it is a review and I think it could maybe sell (or push you away) from the book... possibly. You can view it here.


Those are the main reviews that I've struggled to write. In a way there's always a struggle of some sort when it comes to writing a review. But a lot of reviews come out sounding fantastic and that's what makes the struggle worth it.


If you're a reviewer, what books have you struggled to review?

Thanks for reading and have a lovely day!
=D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...