Friday, October 30, 2015

Harryween: A DIY on carving a pumpkin... Harry Potter style



Hello, friends! I've been absent (half because of lack of ideas, half because...?) Anyways, I'm back to give y'all a bookish DIY! This DIY is for all the people who are procrastinators, like myself, who haven't carved a pumpkin yet. I mean, what would Halloween be without pumpkins? (Well, lots of Hocus Pocus and apple cider but...) Keep reading if you want to learn how to do a simple Harry Potter design on that pumpkin that's sitting around your house...or outside.. or at your local pumpkin patch.



What You'll need:

-Safety pins (preferred)
I prefer safety pins thought you can
really use anything that's pointy

-A print out/template
Make sure to choose something easy!
Unless you're a professional pumpkin person you'll find that the carving part isn't a piece of cake.
I got my template from this search on google.

-A knife
I used a pairing knife because it's
easier to use, at least for me. 


-(Optional) Apple Cider and Hocus Pocus
Why not add a little
 spice to your life?



Step 1:
Set your pumpkin up. This includes cutting the top off, and gutting the pumpkin. (If you plan on baking the pumpkin seeds then make sure to separate those from the rest of the pumpkin guts.) Once you've done this then pick which side of the pumpkin you want facing the street. Use the safety pins to pin your template, at the angle you want it, on the pumpkin.



Step 2:
Take a safety pin and begin to poke holes around the outline of the shapes. (This is so you have a basic outline of what you're carving. When you take the template off then you'll have dots to guide you :) This process is kind of lengthy so you may have to be patient.


Step 3:
After you've finished poking holes along the outline of your shape then remove the template. The dots may be vague so I like to take my knife, or whatever you're using to carve the pumpkin, and connect/trace the dots so the lines show up more clearly.


Step 4:
Time to start carving! I don't have a particular technique for carving the pumpkin so just carve the pumpkin to the best of your ability! I find it easier to carve out smaller shapes inside the larger shapes. This doesn't affect the final product and I find that it's easier to carve.


Step 5:
Put the top of the pumpkin back on. Stand back and admire your handy work. Look you carved a HP pumpkin! Isn't it glorious?!






Hopefully I helped a few of you out with your pumpkin carving problems!

Happy Halloween and thank you for reading!
:D


2 comments:

  1. Ooooh this was a really cool DIY Faith!I love the cute Harry Potter design! I'm not sure if I'll be carving a pumpkin this year, but if I do, I'll be sure to keep your tutorial in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My family never got around to pumpkins this year for some reason. I'll keep this in mind for next year!

    ReplyDelete

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...