Saturday, October 3, 2015

Adventures of a book girl: Rae Carson, Sarah Prineas, and Joelle Charbonneau talk about some things


Welcome to my second installation of Adventures of a book girl! Today I'll be talking about my experience at a signing I went to last Friday for Sarah Prineas, Joelle Charbonneau, and (one of my many YA fantasy queens) Rae Carson.

So let's start from the very beginning:

Back in 2013? One of my best friends started reading a book titled The Girl of Fire and Thorns and she seemed to love it with every ounce of her being, so obviously I went to the library and secretly started reading it. Why in secret? Because she liked to spoil.... and I can't stand spoilers. Then a few days later she came over and I forgot that TGOFAT was sitting in plain sight on my couch. Long story short, in the next few weeks/months me and my friend had a spoiler contest of sorts and we practically raced to try and finish the trilogy first. (She also did a book talk on EVERY. SINGLE. DETAIL of book 2 in my English class so I was forced to listen. But that's besides the point.)

*Time travel forward to 2015*

Helloooo 2015! *waves*

Then a month or two back I was looking for bookish events that I could maybe, kinda, sorta attend. Ya know, because why not? I was scrolling through Andersons Bookshop events and what did I come across? A Rae Carson signing. I can't even communicate in words how excited I got... So I'll attempt to show you with a GIF.













...Pretty much.


Now despite me being SUPER excited I had very little hope. I didn't know if it would work out with my schedule and La Grange, Illinios (where the signing was taking place) is about 3 hours from my house. 

But very fortunately I was able to go. (I squealed a lot.)

*Flash forward to about a week ago*

So the day of the event I decided to take my friend. How could I not take the one person who introduced me to Raes awesomeness? Of course I was excited. I mean, RAE CARSON. So when Susan Dennard (another one of my queens) said she would be going to support Rae and Sarah I practically started rolling around on the floor. Practically? No. I un-apolagetically did roll around on the floor like the crazy fangirl I am.
I got everything ready, we went and got my friend, and then rode in the car for about three, interesting, hours. (I played Badlands in the car because Halsey is the bomb.com)

Since we got there early we ate at a Chinese restaurant.

The server was a cute little old man that thought we needed ALL of the rice that was served to us. Guess who came home with three boxes of rice? This girl!










Anyways....

The actual signing was super fun. Joelle, who was the moderator, asked Sarah and Rae some questions that got some interesting answers.

One of the conversations went something like this:

Joelle: Do you think that the term "strong female lead" is being overused?

Rae: *...so yes* I almost never get asked the real question. "How do you write such strong male leads." Sure it's great to have a strong female character but....

This is definitely not quote on quote correct but it does summarize what was said. Why do we always assume that the male leads will be strong and then assume that being a strong female is unique? Rae is absolutely right, at least in my opinion. I'm still thinking about this, though, because it was thought provoking.

Sarah told us about how she once wrote with some goats and Rae told us about how she writes in different parts of her house for every book that she writes. 
It was obvious that Rae was exhausted. She had been staying up late and then waking up early that week. She even spaced out on a few of the questions (jokingly?)

After all the questions had been asked we got our books signed. I was unfortunately unable to get Sarah's book *sad face* but I'm going to be reading it soon. I did get my copy of WOEAS signed by Rae and we took a picture and everything was good.

Then I went and had a great conversation with Sooz. When I went up to her I was like "Hi, I'm Faith." and she recognized me from Twitter *squeals*. (Actually, Sarah and Rae did too which was pretty great.) She gave me a hug and we talked for a while before I had to leave. (And guys if you ever get the chance to go and meet her, please do. She's legitimately one of the sweetest humans ever.)

The car ride back was interesting, of course, and tiring. I didn't get home until about 11:30 p.m but it was completely worth it.

Overall I would say that was one of the best nights I've had in a long time.

Side Note: When I got home I realized that I had been sitting right next to Katie from Polished Page Turners. I didn't get to say hi but there's always next time!



What was the last bookish event you went to? (OR)  What authors would you like to meet?
Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!
:D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...