Monday, September 21, 2015

Review||| Wake by: Amanda Hocking

Wake by: Amanda Hocking

Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Series: Watersong (book #1)

Format: Paperback

Page Count: 309

Published: August 7th, 2012

Publisher: St. Martin's Press

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>


"Fall under the spell of Wake—the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hocking—and lose yourself to the Watersong.

Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted theirs. She’s the one they’ve chosen to be part of their group.

Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

I bought Wake spontaneously off of Book Outlet a little over a year ago and I've been meaning to pick it up since then. I was going to read it during the summer time because mermaids = summer, at least in my head, but since it's September that obviously didn't happen. I finally decided to pick it up while I was reading the Assassins Blade because MY HEART CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH *COUGH* SARAH *COUGH* Anyways...

The prologue really drew me in because I'm a sucker for a good old fashioned book murder. The rest of the book... did not?
I was really confused with how I felt after I finished this book. I didn't know if I should rate it higher because I wasn't "understanding" the story, or if I should rate it lower because I felt bleh about it. You can proabably tell which one I chose.

I was expecting a story full of mermaids, mystery, murder, and romance, but what I got was... I love you, right back at you, stop yelling at me, I don't like you any way. And a murder mystery?

I think that this book was supposed to be creepy and suspenseful yet I could see the ending coming from a mile away before it was even close. It was obvious who the murderers were and it was also obvious what Pen, Thea, and Lexi were as soon as they showed their perfect little faces.

 As far as my feelings on the characters, well, there isn't much to say. I didn't care about any of them. I felt extremely detached until Gemma and Harper mentioned their HC mother.... Then I went back to feeling detached. I hated how rude Harper was to Daniel just because she has personal issues. JUST DEAL WITH THEM BY YOURSELF WOMAN. I didn't like Gemma because she was "perfect" and the only thing we had in common was we are both mermaids... *shhhhh* I didn't say that.

I don't want to make this entire review negative so here is a few things that I did enjoy:

-The mention of Greek Mythology aka my not-so-secret love.

-Bernie, the cute little old man. *sigh* Maybe if Bernie would have shown up more often...

-The cover. You can't tell by the picture but it's nice and shiny.

-There was a library. I like libraries.

-The death. Morbid, I know, but it gave the story a little boost.

-The Water. I like water a lot. *mentions love for water way too often*


This book wasn't for me but it doesn't mean it's not for you! Plenty of my bookish friends highly enjoy Amanda Hocking so don't let me scare you off. If this looks like something you would like then definitely consider picking it up.



Thank You for reading and have a wonderful day!
:D




3 comments:

  1. I just did a review of The Assassin's Blade; it's my favorite of the TOG series and SAM!!!! T_T

    The problems you had with this book sounds like the same problems I had with her Kanin series. I was expecting a world of magic but just got romance drama. Probably won't be picking up any more of Hocking's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Frostfire a few months back because it was cheap, yikes, so I feel entitled to read it. I'll also probably see how book 2 goes whenever I have time (obviously not any time soon though)
      Besides that I won't be making an effort to get any more of her books.
      Thanks for the comment Brittany!

      Delete
  2. I recently read Amanda Hocking's Kanin Chronicles, and I really enjoyed it. I tried to listen to the audiobook version of Wake and I could only make it about 30% through. I think this was mostly because of the narrator, though. I've thought about purchasing the series on BookOutlet because the last three books are SO cheap. For some reason, though, they never have Wake in stock. I'm jealous that you found it on there. Great review!

    Sarah @ The Reading Petal

    ReplyDelete

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...