Saturday, September 19, 2015

How to start and run a (Successful) Bookstagram: tips from a clueless girl

DO I have the best Bookstagram account out there? No.
Am I a professional photographer? Nope.
Do I have any qualification whatsoever to make this post? You guessed it. No.
Am I going to try and help you, reader? You bet your fuzzy kittens I am.


     I have been a part of the bookstagram community for a little over a year now and it's been fun! I've gotten the chance to interact with many different wonderful people that I would not have even known existed without my account. Every time I've received a kind comment it just brightens up my day. But it didn't start out this way.
    I started out as a girl who saw a book cover with a quote and decided I wanted to make another Instagram because "Why not?". Did I know what I was doing? nope.
So today I would like to share with you some tips on how to start/run a successful bookstagram.

What will you name your account?

Come up with a good name and make sure to stick to it! 
Your username is how people will identify you so if you continuously change it then people may get confused. If you can't think of a name then here are a few bookish names that are currently available: (maybe)

1. @lightreads
2. @candybooks
3. @fictionalbookgirl
4. @fictionalfangirl
5. @fictionalfanboy

..... That's all I got 

What is the theme of your account? How will you edit your photos?

In this case the theme would be books. However, you still have to decide how you will edit your photos. I edit my photos using the Pixlr app (which is what I recommend.) Pixlr is easy to use and you can do a variety of things with your pictures. If I want to put a font into my pictures (such as the picture shown above) then I prefer to use Font Candy. Make sure you don't go too overboard with editing. The edits should enhance the picture not make it look like you took it on mars. Though going to Mars would be cool...

Tips on taking your pictures:

-Make sure to take your pictures in a lighted place. {Natural lighting usually looks the best.}

-Hold your camera still. Blurry photos are usually not as nice/clean looking.


Posting your pictures: 

-I always recommend not using the standard Instagram filters because if you edit with a different app you can do a variety of more things with the picture.

-We all know that it can be fun to hashtag it up, yes this is a thing now, but don't go too crazy. Limit yourself when putting hashtags into your description because people, at least me, would much rather see your personality shine through in your comments than ####



Gaining followers:

-You wont immediately gain 10000 followers as soon as you join the community, unless you're a magical unicorn wizard, which means that you'll have to start from square one.

-Don't get discouraged! If you're not gaining followers as fast as you'd like to then try some of these tips out for size:

-follow other people that have similar interests.

-Comment! Comment! Comment! Start a conversation with other booklovers.

-I know I just told you guys not to put too many hashtags but they are still great things to use in moderation. I suggest using the tags:

#book, #books, #bookstagram

Of course you can add more but these are the main, most used book tags.

-Visit the tags mentioned above and start liking like a dino that's had 15 cups of coffee



Keeping followers:

It never feels good when someone unfollows you, at least I don't think so, so how do you avoid this? Well friends, I'll see if I can help you out.

-BE ACTIVE
If you haven't posted for 9 weeks then people will most likely unfollow you. You don't need to post twice a day, once a day, or even more than 3 times a week, but just be active.

-This is part of being active but comment back and be interactive with your followers. Sometimes I'll have people comment on my pictures and I won't have a response to whatever they said so I'll go like a few of their pictures. This is my way of showing that I saw their comment and that I appreciated it.

-Don't say things that could possibly be mean or offensive to someone else. If you're doing nothing but bashing a book and its author then people are most likely going to react. The odds of this reaction being positive is not good.

Think first!
What you may not find offensive/mean someone else might. So try to be positive. The bookstagram community is extremely welcoming (and not to mention a good time.)


Now you're ready to go!
Run free little dragon and enjoy your time in the Bookstagram community!


Also reference: Bookstagramming 2.0


Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!
:D


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome post! I was wondering how to do this Bookstagram thing ;) I'm trying to post more frequently, but sometimes my pictures just aren't so nice. xD

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Instagram is great Rachel <3
      Thanks for visiting!
      :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks, this helps alot! I just set up my bookstagram recently :) @summer.reads_

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much. This definently helps! I just started an account last week @_queenofthebooks_

    ReplyDelete

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...