Sunday, August 2, 2015

Review||| The Witch Hunter by: Virginia Boecker

The Witch Hunter by: Virginia Boecker

Rating: 4/5 stars

Genre: YA Fantasy-Adventure

Page count: 360

Format: Hardcover

Published: June 2nd, 2015

Publisher: Little, Brown books for Young Readers
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Your greatest enemy isn't what you fight, but what you fear.

Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.

Virginia Boecker weaves a riveting tale of magic, betrayal, and sacrifice in this unforgettable fantasy debut.
 "
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

       I'll admit. I was a little hesitant to start reading at first because of the mixed reviews it was getting but once I started there were no regrets. The Witch Hunter was filled with action, adventure, and even a little bit of romance. 

      I highly enjoyed the story line. I could really tell that the author is passionate about what she is writing. There was no cliche "broomsticks and spell books" aspect that swallowed up the unique story line. You could almost say that Virginia Boecker created a whole nother world of "Witchcraft and Wizardry." See what I did there?  

I was not Elizabeth Grey's biggest fan. I felt like I was on a roller coaster of emotions when it came to her character. She was a wee bit annoying during the first chapter and then I slowly warmed up to her. Then towards the end she did the whole "I can obviously only save my friends in this situation and I'm gonna die" thing. Do characters not understand that they can save not only their friends but also themselves? This is not heroic it's stupid. 
Her feelings toward the wizard community definitely developed but I didn't feel as if Elizabeth herself really developed. Throughout the entire book she was stuck in an emotional rut and I don't think she's out yet.

The side characters are a different story though. I had so much fun reading about them. George sounded like one of those characters that would wear a shirt that says "I'm not small I'm fun sized." He had a light, fun personality that brightened up the darker aspects of the story. I absolutely despised Fifer when the story started but her character definitely went through some development. Not much to say about John but I liked him too. :) 

As much as I disliked Blackwell I would actually love to read more about his characters' back story because there is quit a lot to be explored. I would also love to read more about Caleb and Elizabeths childhood.

For the first half of the book the romance made me uncomfortable. Why? You may ask. Well, I didn't like the deception that was involved. Elizabeth was not truthful with John and it bothered me because John didn't deserve to be lied to. *Sigh*

I was fairly satisfied with the ending and I was definitely left wanting more. 

Favorite character quote:

"Naturally!" Peter booms, walking around the table and throwing himself into the chair opposite mine. "Where else do you think the boy got his good looks?" He waves his hand in John's direction. "A specimen that fine can only come from the loins of a pirate!"

-Peter
The Witch Hunter


If you're looking for a good witch read I highly recommend. 
They can be hard to find so why not give this one a chance?



Thank you for reading and have a wonderful day!
:)




1 comment:

  1. Great review, I was hesitant about this one too because of mixed reviews, but I appreciate your thorough review and I will be adding it to my TBR list!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...