Friday, July 24, 2015

Review||| Downcast by: Cait Reynolds

Downcast by: Cait Reynolds

Rating: 4.5/5

Published: May 28th, 2015

Publisher: Booktrope

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC for review purposes. :)

.............................................................

"What would you do when faced with an impossible truth? Written with heart and passion, Downcast by Cait Reynolds is ripe with twists you never saw coming and love that defies the odds in this intense new Paranormal Romance retelling one of mythology’s greatest love stories.

It’s the start of Stephanie Starr’s senior year of high school, but sadly, this is no life of the prom queen. Stuck at the bottom of the high school social totem pole, Stephanie is forced by her domineering mother to wear lumpy linen dresses and eat organic tofu for lunch in a world of mini-skirts and pizza.

What Stephanie doesn’t anticipate is gorgeous and cocky Haley Smith who breaks social convention and pursues her with a determination that is both terrifying and flattering. Afraid that Haley is simply trying to set her up for massive humiliation, Stephanie does her best to push him away. But the more attention he pays to her, the more she runs, and the more everyone else begins to notice.

Instead of a loving family to support her as the mean girls make their play, Stephanie’s mother begins to unravel mentally, her possessiveness of Stephanie spiraling to new and frightening extremes. Stephanie is forced to grow up, find herself, and learn the truth about her past in order to save her mother, her friends, and her town. When the truth is revealed, nothing can prepare her for the outrageous reality of her existence…and nothing can save her from her fate.

Except Haley
."
.......................................................................................................
I wanna start out by saying I absolutely adored this book! I have read two other YA Hades/Persephone retelling's and none have them have even come close to Downcast. There were many different aspects that made this specific retelling unique and intriguing. The action, the romance, the humor, it was all there and I loved it.

I just wanna mention that the names were just a bit cheesy. I mean this in the best possible way, though. I had a moment of hysterical laughter  when I put two and two together.
(Note: The following contains a minor spoiler)

Stephanie- Persephone
Haley- Hades
Deborah - Demeter 
Zack- Zeus

See what I'm saying? They either rhyme or start with the same letter as their god/goddess name.
*cue laughter*

Anyways....

I wasn't exactly sold on Stephanie's character in the beginning. I mean, the very beginning of the book starts out with her talking about how she loves to take out the trash. Then she gets all googly-eyed for a "handsome stranger" that she literally just laid eyes on. (Ok, I realize that it's a Hades/Persephone retelling and they've been soulmates since the beginning of time, etc.But still...) When he literally starts "stalking" her during school hours and she's still all "WOW he's HOT!!!!" I thought that all hope was lost. However, this was not the case at all. I started to further immerse myself in the story and I came to terms with the storyline, I guess you could say.
 There was definitely some character development for Stephanie's character. She starts out as a member of "the Snub Club" meaning she was considered a "geek" in her high school social ladder. Stephanie had very little self-confidence and she always tried to blend into the background. Not only does she become more confident, she also comes to terms with her true self and really blossoms overall.

As far as the romance goes I can't really say it was nicely paced, because it really depends on how you look at it. In a sense, the romance was fast, fast, FAST-paced. I mean, this book takes place over the course of a week. A WEEK! But in another sense, Hades and Persephone have known each other for thousands of years so I'm making an exception. I loved how I could legitimately feel the pure love between Stephanie and Haley. I smiled, I laughed, and I felt the emotions of their re-connection. Earlier I mentioned that Stephanie blossomed. Haley was a huge part of this process. He was supportive and loving. Though he had a dark, bad boy persona I found myself growing to love his character (and not because he was a "bad boy.")

I just want to praise this book for the sex scene. The actual sex was literally only five words but the aftermath took up half a page. It was not romanticized and Stephanie's thoughts and feelings were extremely realistic, This can be hard to find in YA these days and I just really appreciated how it was handled in this book.

The side characters were AMAZING. I had a lot of fun reading about Helen, Zack, Morris, and you can't forget Cerberus. (The not so three-headed dog)

The story was fast-paced and I (almost) read the entire book in one sitting. If you are looking for a Hades/Persephone retelling or even just a Greek mythology book then pick this one up!


I will absolutely be picking up the second book but until then....

My emotions...literally



Thank You for reading!
Have a wonderful day  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...