Monday, May 4, 2015

Review||| The Archived by: Victoria Schwab

The Archived by: Victoria Schwab 

Rating: 4/5
Published: 2013
Publisher: Hyperion

Synopsis:
"Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is called the Archive.
    Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was: a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows feat for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.
      Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now that her little brother is gone too, Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself may crumble and fall."

    I was going back and forth between a 3.5 star rating for this book and a 4.0 star rating. I ended up choosing the 4.0 star rating. Why was I questioning a higher rating? Well, The Archived wasn't slow but it definitely wasn't a fast paced read for me. Also, I completely guessed the ending. Meaning, I guessed who was waking the Histories up. (person on the outside, the librarian helping, etc.) I thought the ending was a little too predictable and that the main character was being, in a way, naive.

   In the end I couldn't mark the book down that much because I still really enjoyed it. (Despite the two things mentioned above.) The plot was unique. I honestly have never heard of storing the dead in a library or that the dead are basically their own personal book/story. (Or I'm just really out of the loop :)
 The characters were enjoyable, too. I loved how strong Mackenzie was! She was confident being who she was. Even though she felt down a couple of times she picked herself right up again and continued to be a super strong female protagonist.
   Can I just talk about Wesley for a moment. I loved Mackenzie for being strong and I honestly loved Wesley for that too. But where Mackenzie was bada** most of the time Wesley was super sweet and overall a lovable person. (Plus he wears Guy-liner so...) Together they were the perfect duo and I wish I would have gotten to see more of them during the course of the book.

Overall I would definitely recommend this book!
It kind of reminded me of The Summer of Moonlight Secrets by Danette Haworth. Though I'm pretty sure it's because both books take place at an old apartment/hotel...


What are your thoughts on The Archived? 
Favorite V.E Schwab book?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Top Five Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want to (toss a book across the room and never look at it again aka) NOT read a book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the lovelies over at  The Broke and the Bookish Welcome back to another Top Ten Tuesday ...