Saturday, March 14, 2015

The Book Thief by: Markus Zusak *spoiler free* Review

The Book Thief

Published: March 14th, 2006
Pages: 550
Rating: 5/5

            It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. 
            Death has never been busier, and will become busier still.
By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she pick's up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordion-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.
  But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down.
  

  This book was required reading for my English class which actually made me quite excited! I had been meaning to read this book for the longest time because I had heard nothing but great things about it. It being required reading gave me an excuse to start it.
  But once I started it I found the first 100 pages to be slightly slow moving. (Even though within the first 25 pages there was a death.)  As far as what my feelings are on what happens after those first 100 pages....I'm not even sure I can properly explain it with words.
   Lets just begin with the characters....
I really liked Leisel's character! She was just an overall thought provoking person. I think its amazing that she had the courage, at a younger age, to be her own person and steal books despite all the crap occurring at this time in history. She always had some type of understanding of others and if she didn't, she wasn't afraid to ask questions so she could acquire one.  
   Other characters including: Max, Rudy, Hans, Rosa, Tommy, Steiner family, etc. I loved them, I hated them, I cried for them, I felt all the feelings for them, and now I miss them because there are no other books with them...
   And I definitely can't forget to mention our narrator, Death. 
Having Death as a narrator was interesting because as a reader I didn't only get to see Liesel's story, though it was the main focus, but also parts where Death would talk about his thoughts on what was occurring or just his job in general. 
  The story overall was woven together nicely and once I truly got into it I couldn't stop reading.
   
                               ***A Last Note From Your Narrator***
               
                 I would highly recommend listening to this as an audio-book because the narrators voice is spot on. :)
                              





No comments:

Post a Comment

Review|| A Court of Wings and Ruin (and lot's of cringe) by: Sarah J Maas

I don't usually like to review sequels because then the review can't truly be spoiler free (which is a huge bummer). BUT I ha...